News

Yemen’s warring sides fail to agree extension to UN-backed truce | Conflict News


The United Nations says Yemen’s warring parties have failed to reach an agreement to extend a nationwide ceasefire.

In a statement, the UN special envoy to Yemen called on all sides to refrain from provocative actions as negotiations continue, after the October 2 deadline for extending the agreement has expired.

The The UN-backed armistice initially went into effect in April and hope for a longer pause in fighting.

The horrifying conflict began in 2014 when Iran-backed Houthis captured the capital Sanaa and much of northern Yemen and forced the government into exile. A Saudi-led coalition, including the United Arab Emirates, intervened in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognized government to power.

In a statement, UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said he “regrets that no agreement has been reached today”. He not only singled out the Houthis for disagreeing with his proposal but thanked the internationally recognized government for “actively participating” in the negotiations to extend the truce. He urged the leaders to continue to try and reach an agreement.

“I call on them to fulfill their obligation to the people of Yemen to pursue all paths for peace,” he said.

The foreign minister of Yemen’s internationally recognized government has blamed the end of the truce on the Houthis. In comments made to Al-Hadath satellite TV channel, Ahmed Awad Bin Mubarak said that the Houthis had obstructed the ceasefire and went against the interests of the Yemeni people.

“The government has made many concessions to extend the truce,” he said.

There was no immediate comment from the Houthis, but on Saturday they said that discussions around the armistice had reached a “dead end” and that they were continuing to campaign for the full reopening of the airport. Sanaa and lifted the blockade on the key port city of Hodeida.

The group held a large military parade last month, displaying rockets and large weapons, drawing condemnation from observers.

In the hours ahead of schedule, a spokesman for the Houthi military threatened private oil companies still working in the country to leave or their facilities would be confiscated. Yahya Saree wrote on Twitter that fossil fuels belong to the people of Yemen and can be used to pay civil servants.

The April truce initially established the partial opening of Sanaa airport and the port of Hodeida on the Red Sea. The following months have seen flights begin again from the capital’s airport to Jordan and Egypt. It also called for the lifting of a Houthi blockade on Taiz, the country’s third largest city. But little progress has been made there after talks to reopen local roads stalled. Another key point is how the salaries of public employees will be funded, many of which have not been compensated for many years.

Sunday’s statement came days after Grundberg met in Sanaa with the top Houthis leader, Abdel-Malek al-Houthi, and other senior officials who are pushing for a full reopening. airport. The special envoy warned last week that the risk of war returning was a real possibility.

“Millions of people will now be at risk if air strikes, ground shelling and missile attacks continue,” said Ferran Puig, country director for Yemen for international charity Oxfam. Puig, country director for Yemen for the international charity Oxfam, said.

Analysts say it remains unclear whether further talks can make progress, with the Houthis feeling empowered and the coalition against them divided by coalition trouble.

Peter Salisbury, a Yemen expert with Crisis Group, an international think-tank, said the Houthis behaved as if they had more leverage during the negotiations because they were willing to return to war. than the other side.

Compared to the forces fighting the Saudi-led coalition, “they run an efficient police state and operate a fairly functional and motivated fighting force,” he said.

In recent years, the Houthis have deployed increasingly effective weapons against Saudi Arabia and their opponents, including cruise missiles and drones, prompting accusations that Their main backer, Iran, is helping this group get them.

Meanwhile, cracks in the anti-Houthi coalition have emerged in the southern provinces. In August, armed groups supported by the United Arab Emirates seized key oil and gas fields in the south as other forces were fighting the Saudi-led coalition control. Clashes between them and other coalition forces have left dozens dead.

However, the truce resulted in a significant lull in direct war despite both sides claiming violations.

The international charity Save The Children says the truce has reduced displacement by 60 per cent and child casualties by 34 per cent in Yemen.

The conflict, which in recent years has turned into a regional proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, has killed more than 150,000 people, including more than 14,500 civilians, according to the Data Project. Events & Sites of Armed Conflict, and created one of the world’s worst conflicts and humanitarian crises.

goznews

Goz News: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably.

Related Articles

Back to top button