Emergency workers received no response from the boy two days after he fell on a 35-meter-tall pole at a construction site.
Hundreds of rescuers in Vietnam are doing their best to free a 10-year-old boy, two days after he fell onto an exposed concrete shaft at a construction site on New Year’s Eve.
Thai Ly Hao Nam was heard calling for help shortly after he fell off the stake on Saturday morning, but rescuers received no response from him on Monday as they lowered the camera to try to locate him. of him in a 35-meter (115-foot-long) deep pit supported.
The accident happened at a bridge construction site in the Mekong Delta when the boy was with his friends looking for scrap metal.
“I don’t understand how he landed on a hollow concrete pile the diameter of a fist. [25cm, 10-inch] Le Hoang Bao, Director of Dong Thap Province’s Department of Transport, told Tuoi Tre News, a local newspaper.
Attempts to raise the pile with cranes and excavators have so far failed and rescuers have been unable to locate the boy, media reported.
“We are trying our best. We can’t say for sure yet,” a rescue worker told AFP news agency by phone, identifying himself only as Sau.
Rescuers pumped oxygen into the pole and softened the soil around it, but the stake tilted slightly, complicating extraction efforts.
On Monday, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh asked federal rescuers to join local authorities to save the boy.