World

Vatican begins investigation of teenager who went missing 40 years ago


Vatican begins investigation of teenager who went missing 40 years ago

The Vatican confirmed it had opened an investigation into its most famous cold case. (Represent)

Vatican City:

The Vatican confirmed on Tuesday that it has opened an investigation into its most famously cold case, the disappearance of a teenager 40 years ago that has sparked countless theories and a series of box office hits. by Netflix.

Emanuela Orlandi, the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee, was last seen leaving a music class in Rome on June 22, 1983.

Decades of speculation followed what happened to her, with theories blaming everyone from robbers, secret services to Freemasonry and a Vatican conspiracy – nothing more. what has been proven.

The Orlandi family lobbied tirelessly to find out the truth, and it was their requests that led in part to the new investigation.

The Vatican’s chief prosecutor, Alessandro Diddi, “opened the case, in part at the request of the family,” a spokesman said on Tuesday.

However, the family said they are still waiting for details on what will be the focus of the new investigation.

Family lawyer Laura Sgro told AFP: “We don’t know what the Vatican will do… what papers they want to see, the investigative papers of the Rome prosecutors or whether they have a file to share. share or not”.

“The Vatican has never done anything until now,” she said, adding: “I have been asking to be heard by top figures in the Vatican for many years… but unfortunately some people. dead.”

Digging graves

One of the most widely circulated theories is that Orlando was robbed by robbers to put pressure on the Vatican to recover the loan.

Enrico De Pedis, the head of the Magliana gang, is suspected of being involved in her abduction and some speculate that the young girl may be buried with him under a church.

Italian authorities went so far as to open his grave in 2012, uncovering boxes of bones. But DNA tests found no match for Orlando.

In 2019, the Vatican agreed to open two tombs in this small city at the request of the family, following an anonymous tip.

The tombs in the Teutonic Cemetery were found empty including the two princesses believed to be buried there.

The bones of the princesses were later found beneath the nearby Teutonic College, but the Vatican said there were no signs of recent remains.

vatican girl

The twists and turns of the case were captured in a 2022 Netflix series, “Vatican Girl”.

In it, Orlandi’s brother Pietro claims that Pope Francis told him the girl was “in heaven” – an assertion the family believes shows the Vatican knows what happened to her. .

The documentary heard witness testimony confirming the theory that Orlando was kidnapped.

In it, a friend also claimed that the teenager confided last week when she disappeared that he had been harassed by someone close to Pope John Paul II in the garden at the Vatican.

In 2017, conspiracy experts went crazy over a leaked – but apparently falsified – document, allegedly written by a cardinal and pointing to a Vatican cover-up.

Another claim often repeated in the Italian media is that she was arrested to force the release of Mehmet Ali Agca, the Turkish who plotted to assassinate Pope John Paul II in 1981.

In a Facebook post, Pietro Orlandi welcomed the new investigation if it is indeed carried out with the goal of bringing clarity and “finally bringing justice to Emanuela”.

(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from an aggregated feed.)

Featured video of the day

Man tries to fly to Bangkok with $40,000 ‘Pan Masala’ package

goznews

Goz News: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably.

Related Articles

Back to top button