Italian designer Alessandro Michele on Wednesday left Gucci, where he has overseen a spike in sales in the fashion powerhouse since 2015 but has seen his stardom fade in recent seasons. this.
“Gucci today announced that Alessandro Michele will step down as creative director of Gucci,” said French group Kering, which owns the Italian brand.
It says he played “a fundamental part in making the brand what it is today through his groundbreaking creativity”.
Michele, in the same joint statement, said: “There are times when the road splits because each of us can have different points of view.”
Kering said Gucci’s design office will “continue to guide the direction of the house until a new creative organization” is announced.
Industry bible Women’s Wear Daily earlier on Wednesday said Michele had quit after being asked to stage a creative overhaul to restore the brand’s luster.
With a book-chic chic look and classic combinations dating from the 1970s and ’80s, Michele helped transform the once prized home into a smashing success, attracting a generation of fans new with his anti-establishment style.
Michele also joins several other designers by announcing in 2021 that the number of annual shows will be reduced from five shows to just two, stating that “clothes should last longer” and his future collections will be “out of season”.
Sales also increased thanks to the 2021 Ridley Scott-directed “House of Gucci” starring Lady Gaga and a host of Hollywood A-listers.
According to WWD, enthusiasm has begun to wane among industry insiders, with Kering CEO Francois-Henri Pinault looking forward to a rapid change in leadership.
Pinault wishes the designer a “fantastic next chapter in his creative journey”.
The path that Gucci and Alessandro have walked together over the years is unique and will remain a prominent moment in the brand’s history, he said.
Financial analysts at brokerage Bernstein previously said in a research note to clients: “Gucci is getting tired of the brand, and Alessandro Michele has done the same for the past seven years.”
“Institutional investors seem to agree that a new approach is needed to relaunch the brand,” added analysts at Royal Bank of Canada.
(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from an aggregated feed.)
Featured video of the day
One-year-old died of measles in Mumbai, 10 deaths this year