The day after CBS announced the cancellation SWATSeries host Shemar Moore took to social media to share an impromptu video of himself expressing frustration over the way the decision was handled.
The network revealed on Friday that the series in which Moore has starred is LAPD Sgt. Daniel “Hondo” Harrelson since his debut in November 2017, will not return after the finale of season six airs on May 19. The show — an update to the 1970s series of the same name — is real. The show increased its total audience compared to its predecessor, averaging 6.82 million viewers over seven days.
“It makes no sense,” Moore said of the cancellation in an Instagram video posted on Saturday. “We did nothing wrong. We did everything that was asked of us.”
Moore praised the show’s ratings over the past two years and highlighted its strong performance on Friday nights. The Criminal psychology alum also claims that he is the only African-American male lead on broadcast television, excluding streaming or cable, and points out that Chris O’Donnell, not LL Cool J, is #1 on the charts for NCIS: Los Angeleswill also end its run this month on CBS.
“SWAT is the most diverse show on CBS,” Moore said. “CBS, when I was hired as Hondo on SWAT, has received a lot of criticism for its lack of diversity. If I were to post this, and I think I might, I’d be in a lot of trouble with CBS because I’m calling them out. Because they’ve been great to me for 26 years of my 29-year career. But to suddenly be told you’ve been canceled when you made us believe last week – and the week before, and the week before that – that we’re going to have some sort of season seven-like relationship to at least be say goodbye, if not continue. And suddenly being told, ‘You’re done.’”
Moore said there was “a lot of politics involved” and mentioned the licensing fee for the project co-produced by Sony Pictures TV and CBS Studios. According to Moore, he doesn’t share his thoughts for personal gain but out of concern not only for his family but also for others who have worked on the show. He made it clear that he hopes the forces will realize that something went wrong and that the series can continue.
“I will be fine, but I am sad because I did my best to prove that I can do this and I have proven that I can do this,” he said. “I understand it’s not personal — it’s business — but I still believe SWAT will live to see another day. So I ask my loved ones, my fans and my little girls as well as the rest of the world, who follow me or follow the show, follow the cast, the My brothers and sisters: Make noise. And let them know that the cancellation SWAT was a damn mistake.”
Hollywood Reporter has reached out to CBS for comment.
In an interview in March with THR’S Top 5 TV podcast, executive producer Shawn Ryan said whether the show gets a seventh season in this day and age when platforms have high stakes in ownership of their entire series is “waiting.” “There’s no reason why the show wasn’t picked, other than the economics of the business are changing,” Ryan said at the time. “CBS and Sony will or won’t find a way to make season seven work.”