Australian influencer Roxy Jacenko has shared her horror experience when she overdosed on the newly popular Ozempic in an attempt to lose weight.
In an exclusive interview with the Saturday Telegraph, the 43-year-old said she was “desperate” to lose 15kg that she gained after using hormone therapy to treat breast cancer, after her diagnosis in 2016.
Jacenko then turned to the viral diabetes drug that helps with weight loss which has now taken the world by storm.
“I tried not eating much, I tried cutting out alcohol and I tried exercising. It didn’t work, I didn’t shed the weight,” she told The Saturday Telegraph.
“I thought, ‘I am reading and hearing about Ozempic all the time. I am trying it’.
“I went to my doctor and I begged him and he said, ‘Roxy go and look in the mirror’. He made me walk into his room and look at myself in the mirror and he said, ‘I am not giving you a prescription, you don’t need it’.
After being denied the prescription from her doctor, Jacenko found it elsewhere.
“So I went somewhere else and I got it. You would be blown away by the number of people who will give you scripts for that stuff.”
The mother of two said she acted like a “proper junkie”, where she paid someone $2500 to drive to go and collect the injection based medication.
“The only one I could get was a 1 milligram pen. So basically you start on 0.25 and after a number of weeks or months you can transition yourself onto a higher dosage.
“I took the 1ml because it was it was all I could get. I was like a junkie. I was like a proper junkie.”
Ignoring the prescribed amounts, Jacenko said she risked her life and took four doses in one hit in a “desperate” attempt to lose the 15kg.
“I thought, ‘you know what, I am desperate’,” she said.
The overdose was followed by uncontrollable vomiting, “epilepsy type” shaking and three days in an overdose clinic to recover.
“I have had cancer, radiation therapy, all of that. It doesn’t even compare to how bad I felt when I took this drug.
Jacenko thought she was “going to die” and warns how the drug is “pathetic” and “silly”.